Saturday, March 20, 2010

Life in Taborea: The World of Runes of Magic



Fantasy Worlds are enticingly appealing specially for the young and adventurous at heart. Welcome to Taborea, the World of Runes of Magic! It is a world where heroes, mythical beasts and magic exist. But before anything else, what is Runes of Magic all about anyway?

Runes of Magic is fantasy role-playing game more popularly known as MMORPGs developed by e-games.



An introduction - What is fun about MMORPGs?

I am a big fan of Role playing games (RPGs). These type of games were one of the reasons I bought my beloved Playstation in the first place! The reason I love these games over the other genres is that they offer a vast world you can explore. Plus, you can improve your character by giving them equipment and items best suited for them. Finally, you get your character to gain experience and level up by defeating monsters along the way, giving them new skills and making your characters stronger! The hours and hours of gameplay is proof that RPGs definitely had me going!

MMORPGs are a whole new level of RPGs. The downside of traditional RPGs is that it lacks player interaction. The other characters in the RPG world you explore are either controlled by you or the computer. However, MMO (massively multiplayer online) games like Runes of Magic (ROM) allow you to interact with other players in Taborea, giving you a social life while playing. Banding together, chatting, play against each other, you name it! Runes of Magic can offer them and a whole lot more!

Another feature Runes of Magic can offer is that they have hundreds of quests for you to complete - and more to come! Single player RPGs are usually linear - meaning they can only have one ending. Once you complete it, GAME OVER! But it is a different story in ROM. The many quests the game offers, some difficult and requires other players' help will keep any player's long-term interest. In Taborea, the story never ends...

To shorten this post, I made two separate posts for those interested in Runes of Magic and to supplement this one at the same time.

Life in Taborea: A brief history
- a brief history and background of the game.

Life in Taborea: What could I be in Runes of Magic?
- a brief explanation on character classes

------------------------------------------------------
And now, my scenario for my life in Taborea....

Chapter I: The Calling

It was 10 p.m. in the evening - time for me to sleep. After tossing and turning in bed for about 10 minutes, I realized I what I needed. Something to do to ease my mind...

So I opened my laptop to check out stuff in the internet. "Hmmm... Nothing new or interesting on Youtube...", I muttered. But as I checked my e-mail for incoming mail, I was surprised to see a disturbing message.

from Anonymous: "My Lord, help us, we beg of you! Please..."

On that message, a link was pasted below. I was hesitant to click it for it might trigger a computer virus. But my curiosity got the better of me. I clicked on the link which led me straight to what seemed to be an online role playing game. Funny, but it seemed that I am already logged in with a character to use in the game.

As I fiddled around with the controls, slowly I felt being drawn into the game. The more I played, the more the world I tread was coming to life. Then, I suddenly realized, I'm no longer in front of my laptop anymore. I am now a part of that world!

Alone and confused, I tried assess my situation. At that moment, I was wearing thick armor, while bearing sword and shield. "Lucky I am well-equipped...", I said to myself.

I looked around my current position. It was a vast wilderness, filled with wolves and strange beasts. Not far off, a group of peasants were being chased by one of the beasts.

"Help us please!" The peasants loud cries can be heard across the plains.

I was compelled to save them. With all my might, I chased after the beast pursuing them. I was able to catch up to the beast and slayed it with my blade.

"Thank you sir for saving us...", one of the peasants gestured in glee.

"It's alright...but tell me where am I?"

Another peasant reacted, "You are at the passage to the Howling Mountains. Thank Ayvenas, you were here to save us! Sir, may I ask... Are you not Sir Damiel Alndor?"

"Damiel who?", I reacted to my surprise.


"Yes! You are! You are Sir Alndor! The Relentless one. The bards songs' tell us of your tale all over Kolydia! You bear the family crest!". The peasant pointed the skull and crossbones mark on my shield.

Still confused, I asked again..."I don't really know where I am. Could you give me directions to the nearest city? I have a lot of questions on my mind..."

"The nearest city is Varanas! Just travel north across this road and surely you will reach the city."

After thanking the peasants for their hospitality, I traveled north until I reached the city gates.

Chapter II: The mission

Varanas looked like a fortified medieval city from the outside. Its walls were meters high preventing invaders from taking the city. Still confused, I asked the guards at the front gate where to get more info. One of them also recognized me as "Sir Knight Alndor" just like the peasant before.

"Sir Alndor! Please head to the Council of Varanas immediately! The high council awaits you.", his message just made me more confused than ever. "Why summon me? I just arrived here..."

Seeking more answers, I went straight to the council. The guards told me that they were awaiting me at the Guild's hall located at the south of the city.

Meeting the council members made me feel uneasy - as if their were to bring ill-fated news. I was right. The grand councilor told me that I must be sent off on an important mission. The council found out from the Eye of Wisdom that the Demon Lord will rise again based on the prophesy of the Oracle. It would be my quest to prevent that from happening for the sake of Taborea - their world.

"Why me?" I asked myself. It seemed that the torn pages of Taborea's future was sewn into me. Finally, I accepted the fact that it was indeed destiny.

And so, I asked the council what to do in order to stop the Demon Lord from re-awakening. The elder replied, " You should go stop the demon spawn from obtaining the Greater Rune of Awakening.

The rune has the power to re-awaken the imprisoned Demon Lord. Go now, across the Savage Lands, to the Aotulia region where the Rune of Awakening resides. We have received reports that a horde of demon spawn are headed there to claim it for their master. We must move quickly to claim the Rune and move it to a safer location.

"What happens if I fail?" I asked.

"Then all will be doomed! For the Demon Lord has the power to open the portal to the nether world and call forth his Demon kin. We must not let Taborea fall into Chaos once more..."

My mission was clear. I should stop the Demon Lord from awakening, then go home...

Chapter III: The gathering

Going to the Savage Lands will not be an easy task. I will need a party of 6 in order to continue the perilous odyssey. The council already provided me a priest by the name of Cygnus, and a female mage named Xervanas. She is half-elf and half-human.

The pub located at Varanas' east wing is a place for 'interesting' people. I needed a fighter with good sword skills. Being a fighter myself, I can easily tell who is best suited for the quest. Finally I found one willing to join - for a price. His name is Draden the Warrior. I made a promise to him that whatever powerful sword we might scavenge along the way will be his spoils. Hopefully he will fulfill his end of the bargain.

I also recruited Jayna, a female rogue. She wanted to tag along since she was headed to the Savage lands as well. It was common knowledge that it would be dangerous to travel alone.

Just outside the equipment shop, I was able to meet up with a scout. His name is Gonges. His stance suggests he is an excellent marksman. He wanted to join our group so that he could gain more hunting experience. Needing his vaunted skills, I easily let him join.

Now there are six of us and are on our to journey to the Savage Lands. It is known that these lands are home to the most cunning and ferocious of beasts. We made sure we had enough provisions of food and medicine to last.

It was five days since we traveled north to Silverspring. By far, none of our encounters were able to stop our advance. It seemed that I was able to form a team of fine warriors. However day six was a different story.

A minotaur commander blocked our path towards the savage lands. He and his fellow minotaurs demanded tribute from our caravan, filled with supplies. I couldn't afford giving our precious cargo since, we still had a long journey ahead.
I told my team, "We can't give in to his demands. Comrades, prepare to fight..."


The minotaur commander proved to be a worthy challenge. We tried to cut him down, but his thick hide prevented us from slicing him to shreds. He was strong and agile. Wielding a large battle axe, he rammed straight to our cleric's position while his lackeys followed from behind. We were pushed back by their onslaught.

My fellow heroes haven't given up, so do I. With my sheer will, I faced the minotaur commander myself and bellowed my war cry, "I AM THE STEEL WALL! I SHALL NOT FALL!"

Then...

back to reality...

The battle may have been lost, but one day we shall rise again. Mark my words brethren... we shall rise again.

--fin--

This is my entry to the Nuffnang Philippines and Runes of Magic blog contest. The story above is purely fictional and in no way connected to any real person living or otherwise, or event.

To know more about the contest, click here for details...

P.S. For more info about the game, you may visit Runes of Magic website. Most of the images belong to e-games and Runes of Magic. I do not claim rights nor ownership of the said material.

blog comments powered by Disqus