Sunday, November 7, 2010

I participated in the Canon Photomarathon 2010


This is the first time I participated in the Canon Photomarathon 2010 - Manila Leg which was held at the SMX Convention Center, Mall of Asia Pasay City last November 6, 2010.



Since this was the first time I participated, I would like to share my experience in this on-the-spot photo contest.

I already knew about this contest last year but was not able to participate because I found out too late that there were limited slots for online registration. (around 500 I think...) But even though I was not able to register in advance, there is still that option to wait for vacant slots on the day of the event. Still, I'd rather make sure I get a slot so, I just opted to join this year.

Now on it's 5th year, the Canon Photomarathon is an annual event held around October or November for avid amateur and professional photographers alike.

This contest is open to all Canon camera users nationwide. For this year, there are separate events for Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. You will have to pre-register online (or take chances for open slots on the day of the event) before you can participate.

The themes of this contest was announced on the day of the event. There were 3 rounds with corresponding themes. For each round, the contestant photographer will be given 2 hours to go around and shoot their entry and return to the starting point (the SMX convention center) to download their images for submission. Another 30 minutes was allotted for contestants to finish downloading their entries.

From the two hours allotted time, the photographer can go practically anywhere to take their photos, but have to make sure they return before the time is up so that their entry will count.

Also, there are three categories for this competition. There is...
1) for point-and-shoot
2) DSLR
3) video category

I noticed that there are a lot of registrants bringing their DSLRs for the competition. But what is striking to me is that a contestant can only compete in only one category. Meaning, if a contestant wishes to compete in a point-and-shoot category, they cannot compete in the DSLR category or video category. They also cannot switch categories between rounds. Funny, but since most brought their DSLRs to the competition, it probably meant that fewer contestants are willing to compete in the point-and-shoot category.

Here are some of my photos of the Canon Photomarathon 2010.

Some freebies given away on the event like free coffee and mouthwash...

a short program before the event...

a big projector screen shows the countdown before the contest round officially closes.

I am participating in the video category, which means I opted not to submit any photo entries in the DSLR or point-and-shoot category. All I have to do is make an MTV presentation of the Canon Photomarathon 2010. Unlike the other two categories, the deadline is one week after the event. I know it isn't easy making an MTV so wish me luck on this one... :)

If you want to try your luck on this prestigious contest, you will have to wait until next year (around October or November) to join. The Canon Philippines Facebook page may announce contest schedules so that you won't miss the chance to be the first 500 to register online.

blog comments powered by Disqus