Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Social Network - Advanced Screening at the Greenbelt 3


This evening, I was able to watch the advanced screening of The Social Network at the Greenbelt 3 Cinema 1. For those who don't have an idea what the story is all about, The Social Network is about the true-to-life story of Mark Zuckerberg, and how he started Facebook.


Before the show started, PLDT and Nuffnang Philippines awarded the winner of the Blog contest. Aside from awarding the movie invites to the 1st 90 bloggers, the best post wins a PLDT modem and wifi. The topic was about my analogy of Social Network is to Facebook as PLDT myDSL Modem + WiFi is to ...

and I answered family...

Lo and behold! I was chosen as the winner of this contest! Thanks PLDT and Nuffnang Philippines for awarding me this prize. Check out my contest entry here...

my prize - a PLDT modem+wifi device. I have yet to open it probably tomorrow...

I already mentioned to my mom that I won the contest, and we're happy we received this gift from PLDT and Nuffnang.

Anyways, back to the topic on The Social Network movie.

For starters, the movie is meant to be watched by a more mature audience. A lot of scenes deal with lifestyles of a typical college student in the U.S., filled with lots of wild parties, booze and sex (but the sex part isn't explicitly shown in the movie).

As the movie unfolds, two stories alternate in the narrative - the present where Mark Zuckerberg confronts his former colleagues/friends in a trial hearing on the ownership of Facebook, and the past, where the movie narrates Mark's dealings with his friends, and how he started Facebook during his college years in Harvard.

So as not to spoil the movie, I will not reveal everything here. But I would like to mention that the story is quite entertaining specially if you are familiar with Facebook. The movie tries to explain where Mark got the ideas incorporated into Facebook like the Facebook status where he mentioned "nobody in his right mind would wear a tag telling others what he's doing" (except he made it possible in FB now), and the funny "pop" sound when you receive a chat message.

Lessons can be learned from the story, specially about what weighs more - friendship or financial success. Overall, the movie played out well, but I also have reservations on how the movie could have been made better. Also, I think I read a blog post that not all the details are true, even the real Mark Zuckerberg says it's a work of fiction. Still, it was enjoyable to say the least. I give the movie a 3.5 out of 5.

Thanks again Nuffnang and PLDT for the movie invites and my contest prize.

:)

blog comments powered by Disqus